There are several different types of kitchens from U-shaped to island kitchens. Following is a brief overview of each type.
- U-shaped kitchen – this style of kitchen is suitable for small or large kitchens and is the safest design in that it stops members of the household from walking through the potentially dangerous work triangle. It also offers optimal bench and storage space. If seating is at a premium in your home, you can also use one of the “legs” of the U as a breakfast bar or eating area.
- L-shaped kitchen – this kitchen style is great for narrow, long or open-plan rooms and still provides a good amount of storage and workspace. It is also easy to reach all of the main working areas.
- Single-line kitchen – use this kitchen in small spaces. This style of kitchen has appliances placed underneath the countertop for maximum workspace and storage cabinets are usually placed overhead.
- Two-way Galley – this style of kitchen minimises the amount of movement as cupboards and workspaces are located in front of and behind you. However, for safety reasons, ensure that the space between the two sides is wide enough for people to navigate around you.
- Island kitchen – this is any style of kitchen with a separate workbench included. This is useful if more than one person is cooking at a time and works best in larger areas, so that traffic flow is not impeded.
See a variety of kitchen layouts in our kitchen showroom in Gladesville.